Advanced Special Topics in Computer Science and Engineering I
(고급컴퓨터학특론 I ), 1st
Course Number: CO691
Schedule: Wednesday 5, 6,
Engineering Building Room 105
Title: Advanced Special
Topics in Computer
Science and Engineering II
Dept: Dept of CSE
Hours and Credit : ( 3 )hours
( 3 )credits
Professor: Hwan-Seung Yong
of this Course
- Learn comprehensive coverage of concepts
and technique for Data Mining related area and study recent research results
through paper working
- By doing term project, each student can
do personal data mining research project.
- Textbook: Jiawei Han, Micheline Kamber, Data Mining: Concepts and
Techniques, Morgan Kaufmann, 2000.
- Lecture Notes: http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~han/DM_Book
- Reference information
- 용환승 역, "객체-관계 DBMS," 이한출판사,
1997년 , 원서: M. Stonebraker, "Object-Relational
Database Systems," Morgan-Kaufmann, 1996.
- 용환승 역, "데이타 마이닝", 도서출판 그린, 1998년, Pieter Adriaans, Dolf Zantinge저, Data Mining,
Addison-Wesley Longman, 1996.
Assignments and Evaluation
- Report and Term Project: 30%, Paper Presentation: 10 %, Final
50 %, Attendance and others: 10%
LaTeX Term project report writing is mandatory for Grade A.
- 1st week - 12th week: Lecture of Data
Mining Textbook, Paper presentation by two students from 3rd week.
- 3. 7 Chap 1 Introduction
- 3.14 Chap 2 Data Warehouse and OLAP Technology
for Data Mining
- 3.21 Chap 3 Data Preprocessing
- 3.28 Chap 4Data Mining Primitives, Languages
and System Architectures
- 4.4 Chap 5 Concept Description:
Characterization and Comparison
- 4.11 Chap 6 Mining Associations 1
- 4.18 Chap 9: Mining Complex Data
- 4.25 Chap 9 Mining Complex Data: Time Series and Text, Web MINING
- 5.2 Chap 6: Mining Associations
- 5.9 Chap 7: Classification
- 5.16 Chap 8 Clustering, Paper presentation ends.
- 5.23 Term Project Presentation: 15 minutes per student, total
- 5.30 Term Project Presentation 9 students, 6.6 Holiday for National
- 6.13 (16th week): Term Project Presentation and Final Exam
Every Student should do in this semester
- Paper Presentations
Tile and Schedule
- Every student should select one paper
in the list and give a presentation once during semester.
- Select one paper in the list and send it to
me via Mail.
- Students should submit presentation
slide file before her presentation day.
- Term Project: Term
Project Subject and Presentation etc (New)
- Open Topic
- Association Rule Interpretation
- Using Natural Language or More Compact Form (SIGKDD 2000
- Desicion Tree Output Interpretation
- Using Natural Language or some visual tool
- Data Mining (Prediction) Project for SIGKDD Cup Contest (3 students
team is possible)
- XML Database Product http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm
- Other paper work and implementation work is possible.
- DATABASE, XML server related implementation work
- Confirm to Professor before starting.
- Schedule of Term Project
- Until March 22, Select topic and submit work plan via mail.
- Until May 2, Submit progress report.